the latest from 2am Media

17 Feb

Eastwood Town 0-1 Fleetwood Town


Well done to Fleetwood Town – the Cod Army continue their relentless march up through the Blue Square North.

Sean Clancy forced home what could prove to be the most significant of his 14 goals so far this season with his 90th minute winner in the Blue Square North.  The away win at fifth place Eastwood Town lifts Fleetwood Town six points clear of nearest rivals Southport and increased his sides winning run to nine games.

Manager Micky Mellon opted for two changes from the side who beat Gloucester City at the weekend. Jamie McGuire and Gareth Seddon started in place of Adam Warlow and Jamie Mullan, both moving to the bench. Ashley Wooliscroft again stood in for the injured Shaun Beeley, whose scan last week showed he should be back within four weeks after being carried off at Corby Town 10 days ago.

It was the home side who had the first opportunity when Lindon Meikle was put through on goal but veteran left-back Alan Wright put on a turn of pace to assist Craig Dootson who had the ball covered.

Clancy took Town’s first effort towards goal but his pacey run was cut abruptly short with the combination of an uneven surface and a nudge from Lawrence Gaughan.

Gareth Seddon looked threatening on his return and it wasn’t long before he tested Jan Budtz in the Eastwood goal. Budtz, with league experience with Hartlepool United, raced out to parry Seddon’s effort and centre half Gaughan needed to be on hand to put out the threatening ball.

Wooliscroft and Nathan Pond needed to be alert after Wright had blocked Danny Holland.  McGuire and Pond then took turns with efforts of their own at the other end.

Fleetwood took a well defended lead into the break against a side who had only conceded 14 goals in 13 home games so far this term.

The visitors had the benefit of the pronounced slope in their favour in the second period.  This would show in the closing stages of the game when the home side visibly tired as Fleetwood relentlessly pushed forward.

Steve McNulty and Michael Taylor again commanded the centre of defence, the former producing a strong clearance a dangerous home throw.

A Clancy delivery found Seddon with glancing header and the midfielder then saw his own effort go inches wide of the post.

Ross Gardiner had the best chance for Eastwood in the second half but sliced his shot from a promising position.

The moment of justice after an inspired away performance came just as 2 minutes additional time were announced. Clancy jinxed from outside the area, turned his man and unleashed goal ward. The ball took a slight deflection which wrong footed Butdz and sparked the Cod Army celebration both on and off the pitch with Clancy buried under a mountain of red shirts.

Like what you see?

If you've got a web design or internet marketing project in mind and you think we're the team for you, pop in for a coffee and a chat...

Get in touch →